Spedition Kübler carrying sensitive cargo on a SCHEUERLE InterCombi

Spedition Kübler carrying sensitive cargo on a SCHEUERLE InterCombi

Spedition Kübler transports 140-tonne hull and upper deck of the MS Utting using a total of 30 SCHEUERLE InterCombi axle lines. Height limitations along the route meant forgoing the use of the swivel bolster and required maximum precision when operating the transport equipment in order to avoid damaging the rigidly connected load.

In order to be able to utilize every possible centimetre in height during transportation, Kübler decided on a particularly difficult method of loading: the two 9 and 11-axle SCHEUERLE InterCombi platform trailers were not equipped with swivel bolsters. Instead, the hull was to be rigidly positioned on the trailers and braced. As a result, the ship together with the trailers formed an extremely long, rigid unit. The load securing system had to now accommodate all longitudinal and transverse forces of the combination. The precise steering of the SCHEUERLE InterCombi platform trailer and the decades-long experience of Spedition Kübler with sensitive ship transportation, however, also made this difficult assignment possible.

Transport co-ordinator, Nicolas Grimm, also appreciates the reliable and tried and tested SCHEUERLE InterCombi platform wagons. “When we finally get onto the BAB A 9 main transport artery with a total weight of more than 250 tonnes and a width reaching almost 10 m, all of us have to be sure that everything is running smoothly and there is no possibility of a breakdown on the motorway which would block it for a long time. ”

On a Saturday morning, it was time to move. All the SCHEUERLE InterCombi platform trailers had arrived at the inland port of Roth and were prepared for the task ahead. Mobile cranes were already in position and equipped with the required lifting slings. The top deck was carefully separated from the hull and then loaded onto the ten axles of the tried and tested modular platform trailer. The load distribution was perfect and shortly afterwards the first part of the convoy could be moved to a waiting position. The hull was also quickly lifted out of the water and was placed with centimetre accuracy on the two precisely aligned modular platform trailers. Thanks to the conveniently placed lashing points, along with the load spreaders which had already been fitted in the shipyard, the hull was in a secure position and subsequent lashing operations took place very quickly.

On the Monday evening, the convoy set off punctually with a police escort using roads closed off in advance by traffic engineers until it was possible to join the A9 motorway. At the Allersberg junction, precision work was once again required as a roundabout had to be to be driven over before accessing the motorway. Guide units, steering adjustment and the driver performed magnificently. Because after only half an hour, the transport could reverse up the exit ramp and drive onto the A9 which had been completely closed to traffic. Slowly but surely the convoy continued driving until up to two o’clock in the morning and then parked on a specially selected motorway parking area which was suitable to accommodate the huge loads before the onset of rush-hour traffic. This was enough driving for the night, the second stage followed later on the same day..

The following evening, the A 9, A 99 and A 96 motorways were completely closed for the second time. Long traffic jams were now inevitable. With a width of almost 10 metres, it is simply impossible to manoeuvre the heavy load to the right in order to allow the following traffic to overtake. When negotiating a tunnel on route, things become extremely tight again. Only a few centimetres clearance to the concrete walls was available on the left and right as well as at the top. Kübler had previously dismantled all illuminated signs and had the tunnel ceiling lights measured to ensure a safe passage.

Around one o’clock in the morning, the vehicles reached the Inning am Ammersee junction. As the bend on the exit was too narrow, all road traffic regulations had to be temporarily suspended. After the central reservation crash barriers had been removed and the motorway maintenance authority had blocked the oncoming carriageway, the convoy changed to the opposite side and left the motorway on the wrong side of the road. After a final stage via the country roads and past countless dismantled signs and traffic lights, the convoy reached the Bavarian lake boat authority´s facility at Lake Ammer. Two powerful mobile cranes were already waiting and, at the crack of dawn, the hull was gently lowered into the water. After this, the upper deck was lifted from the trailer and set down in position a short time later.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *