Caterpillar Work Tools has expanded its range of excavator attachments with three new multi-processor models—MP332, MP345 and, MP365—which build on the company’s demolition-technology experience with new features aimed specifically at users requiring large, flexible, purpose-built tools that can handle virtually any demolition task. The new models join the MP318 and MP324 in the Cat® multi-processor range.
The design of the new multi-processor models allows pairing a basic housing with any of up to six jaw sets, increasing jobsite versatility; the design also boosts productivity with patent-pending features, such as a new jaw locking system and the Speed Booster valve. The net result is optimum performance, coupled with low owning and operating costs.
The new MP300 Series models are compact and designed with a high power to weight ratio, delivering exceptionally strong cutting and crushing power, while reducing stress on the carrier. Also, the housings used for the new tools incorporate a heavy-duty rotator that provides 360-degree movement for positioning the multi-processor at an optimum angle for any demolition situation.
In operation, when the jaws meet resistance, the integral hydraulic booster valve automatically activates. The Speed-Booster system combines a “speed” and “booster” valve and can therefore use a smaller cylinder diameter (compared with previous models), which nearly halves cycle time for jaw opening and closing. In addition, depending on the jaw set used, closing force is up to 19 percent higher, compared with previous-series models.
The configurations of the interchangeable jaw sets include:
Concrete Cutter (CC); Demolition (D); Pulveriser (P); Shear (S); Universal (U); and Tank Shear (TS). The jaw sets are designed to be exchanged in as few as 10 minutes using only basic tools. Larger models feature a pin capture system that retains the cylinder pin with the jaw to further enable fast, safe jaw exchanges.
Compared with previous designs, the jaw sets have fewer welds (fewer stress points) and more replaceable wear parts. Many wear parts are pinned and can be easily and quickly replaced in the field, saving the time and expense of moving the jaw to the shop for cleaning, grinding, and welding new parts in place. Jaw configurations D, CC, and P benefit from parts commonality. In addition, jaw configuration P uses Cat ground engaging tools while D and CC use the same retention system as the Cat ground engaging tools.
The design of the new models provides protection for hydraulic components and hoses, including housing the motor in the frame. The design also allows ready access to the cylinder, which features a well-protected rod. The number of greasing points has been reduced, compared with previous models, simplifying routine maintenance, which entails only greasing, checking for wear, and replacing worn parts. In addition, each jaw set has a standard transport system, which simplifies moving, storing, and positioning the jaw when making exchanges.
- Concrete Cutter—precisely cuts and demolishes concrete, steel beams, and steel structures, simultaneously cutting and crushing large pieces of heavily reinforced concrete with densely packed rebar.
- Demolition—used for primary demolition, cutting and crushing hard concrete, moderately reinforced structures, and rebar.
- Pulverizer—demolishes and reduces concrete in a single step, separating rebar from concrete and reducing concrete to small, ready-to-recycle chunks.
- Shear—designed to demolish steel structures and cut and reduce the size of metal debris, featuring a piercing tip and wear blade in the upper jaw and a cross blade with additional guiding blade in the lower jaw; straight lower jaw works with the apex of the upper jaw, maximizing shear force for an efficient cut and compressing and flattening steel before the cutting.
- Universal—cuts reinforced concrete into small, manageable chunks for later crushing and rebar separation; can be used in both primary and secondary demolition.
- Tank Shear—used for accurate demolition of plate steel, ships, railway cars, tanks (grain, oil, and fuel), warehouses, transit sheds, and other plate-steel structures; cuts steel into strips.
The MP300-Series Multi-Processors are fully supported by Cat dealers; customers can order parts and service for machines and work tools from a single source. Every Cat work tool is supported with a comprehensive range of pre- and after-sales services that include advice about work-tool selection, operator training, equipment management, and a range of financial and insurance solutions.