Since 2015, the international competition “the ITA Tunnelling Awards” seeks and rewards the most ground-breaking innovation and outstanding projects in tunnelling and underground space utilization. The 2018 edition will take place on 7 November, in Chuzhou – Nanjing during the 20th Chinese Tunnel and Underground works Conference (CTUC) from 5 to 6 Nov. followed by technical visits on Nov.8 in Nanjing, Chuzhou and Shanghai.
Entries of ITA Tunnelling Awards 2018 in Chuzhou can be submitted in 9 categories through a dedicated website.
Nominations for the following categories must contain projects for which the major civil engineering work was completed between 1st January 2016 and 1st April 2018.
The Young Tunneller of the Year rewards an individual born after 1st January 1984 and who has brought an outstanding contribution to tunnelling.
By now, the ITA has already received more than 40 entries in the different categories.
The categories of ITA Tunnelling Awards
- Major Project of the Year – over 500€ million
- Project of the Year – between €50 million and €500 million
- Project of the Year including renovation – (up to €50 million)
- Technical Project Innovation of the Year
- Technical Product or Equipment innovation of the Year
- Innovative Use of Underground Space
- Sustainability initiative of the Year
- Safety Initiative of the Year
- Young Tunneller of the Year
- Life Time Achievement Award (application not required)
Under the chairmanship of Tarcisio Celestino, ITA President, the panel of the 2018 edition is composed of 7 new judges:
- WERNER BILFINGER, CBT President, Brazil
- NICK CHITTENDEN, ITA tech Chair, UAE
- ANTONIA CORNARO, ITACUS Co-chair, Switzerland
- BRIAN FULCHER, WG14 Animateur, USA
- ZHU HEHUA, Professor of Geotechnical Engineering, China
- SHANI WALLIS, TunnelTalk, United Kingdom
- MAXIMILIAN WIETEK, ITA COSUF Chair, Switzerland
And 8 judges who have already participated to the selection last year and decided to renew the experience
- ARNOLD DIX, ITA WG 3 Animateur, consultant, Qatar
- MIKE RISPIN, PS &Supplier, Canada
- CHUNGSIK YOO, ITA Executive Council Member, South Korea
- ALEX GOMES, ITA Vice President, Chile
- MICHAEL BELENKIY, ITA Expert, Russian Federation
- LESLIE PAKIANATHAN, TUCSS Board Member, Singapore
- SOREN DEGN ESKESEN, ITA Past President, Denmark
- BAI YUN, Professor, China
About Tunnelling Industry:
Recording an output of almost €bn 40 for tunnelling and underground construction, China represents almost half of the entire global output for the tunnelling industry.
Over recent years, Asia has had to cope with increasing space-scarcity issues, and the last edition of the AFTES (French Association of Tunnel and Underground Space) in Paris, highlighted “Urban strategies: comparison between Paris and Singapore” as the latter embodies a sustainable model of urban development in a limited and constrained environment.
After editions in Switzerland, Singapore and Paris, the fourth ITA Tunnelling Awards will return to Asia for the 2018 event. The three previous editions of the ITA Tunnelling Awards received more than 240 entries and 110 nominations, rewarded 30 projects and personalities and gathered more than 750 attendees.
Last year, China received 3 awards for the following projects :
- Tunnelling project of the year (50-500m€): MTR Shatin to Central Link (SCL) – Hong Kong – China
- Safety Initiative of the Year : Telemach Cutterhead disc robotic changing system – Hong Kong – China
- Innovative Underground Space Concept of the Year : Cavern Master Plan – China, Hong-Kong